Topographic variation underpins a myriad of patterns and processes in hydrology, climatology, geography, and ecology and is key to understanding the variation of life on the plane. The topography of the country is mostly flat in the south and some elevated areas and mountains exist in the north. The lowest elevation is 0 m near the Atlantic Ocean in the south while the highest elevation is 2419 m at Chappal Waddi in the northeastern part of the country.
In this blog post, we explore the topographic variation in Nigeria, leveraging an insightful map crafted by Olugbenga Ebenezer B. at Geoinfotech Resources Limited. This is a map displaying the topographic variation of Nigeria. This will help give insight to the terrain of areas in Nigeria with the display of the low-elevation areas and high-elevation areas.
The Power of Invention
The map shows and gives a clear description of:
This information can be used for a variety of purposes, including land use planning, engineering, and environmental management, including information on other factors that affect the land such as soil type and vegetation.
Uses of Topographic Map
It can have several uses which are mentioned below:
- These maps can be used for geographic planning or architectural purposes.
- It can be used in matters of Earth Science and Geography.
- It can be used in mining and other such purposes like the construction of ponds
- It can be used for recreational purposes as well—for example, hiking or mountaineering, etc.
- It can be used to get a detailed description of any area or any geographical feature. For example, drainage, landforms, forests, communication or transportation routes, etc.
- It can be used to get detailed information on any man-made features as well.
- It can be used in civil engineering as well.
- The government can use it for planning or administrative purposes or can be used by the private Industrial players as well.
These maps have a very comprehensive and detailed structure of any feature that occurs on the surface of the Earth and this structure provides all the information about that particular feature with the help of contour lines and graphical representation. This structure can include the following aspects in the maps:
|Relief||Regions of mountains, valleys, slopes, and depressions as defined by contours|
|Hydrography||Water bodies such as lakes, rivers, streams, swamps, rapids, falls|
|Vegetation||Forest, wooded areas|
|Transportation||Roads, trails, railways, bridges,
airports/airfields, seaplane anchorages
|Culture||Buildings, urban development, Power,
the transmission line, pipelines, towers
administrative, recreational, geographical
|Toponymy||Names of places, water feature names,
landform names, boundary names
Here, in this article, we have covered topographic maps on the basis of their elevation. We have learned about topography definition geography, topographic map definition structure examples and we now know that Taraba state has the highest elevation of about 2419m while Portharcourt has the lowest elevation of about 0-18m. This will help you to understand the importance of topo maps and will also help in studying Geography and Earth Science.