Geographic Information System (GIS) has grown rapidly, and it is applied in different industries. In time past, Geoinfotech has gathered numerous forms of information systems, for telecommunication companies in Nigeria some of which were developed in-house, some purchased-that were never designed to work together.
During the implementation of these systems, there was no perceived requirement for information sharing. In today’s dispensation, telecommunications companies are integrating GIS into the overall workflow in order to automate business processes. This not only lets them market more effectively but also helps them forecast the demand for services using GIS.
In years to come, investment telecommunication companies making use of geospatial data and technology will increase returns in business process automation, improved decision support, and value-added services. Programmable interfaces derived from Google Earth API, an information management system is created having the map functions to probe the application of GIS in telecommunication information management.
WHO USES GIS IN TELECOMMUNICATIONS?
Telecommunications companies operate their own networks of equipment from multiple sources or vendors. Nextel, Pacific Bell, and others that are telecommunications service providers use the technology to plan, build, and operate telecommunication networks and associated services (Magalhaes 1997; Moy and Austin 1997). Independent telecommunications consultants, such as CDI Telecom, use in-house GIS software to provide engineering and construction services.
In addition, research and educational institutions including universities, schools of electrical engineering, and the communications departments of business schools use GIS packages to teach network planning, operational, and marketing skills.
OTHER USES FOR GIS IN TELECOMMUNICATION COMPANIES FOR NIGERIA
- A company’s network infrastructure can be determined, reported, located using GIS
- Where telecommunications services are offered and where they’ll be offered in the future are determined and mapped
- company’s customers are located through mapping and show how this will affect network load
- Identifying and locating problem spots in the network and figuring out how the network can be modified to reduce the incidence of such problem spots in the future
TELECOM COMPANIES MARKET ANALYSIS USING GIS CAN:
- Identify new opportunities
- Analyze past and current sales
- Monitor customer sentiment
- Enhance understanding of market demand
- Esri’s ArcGIS software improves operational performance and decision-making throughout the organisation.
Telecom companies stay on top of trends, technical advancements and best practices related to GIS in Telecommunications.