Drones are Unmanned Aerial Vehicles used for many different functions, ranging from monitoring climate change to carrying out search operations after natural disasters, photography, filming, agriculture and delivering goods.
Flying a drone can be very exciting but, at the same time, it isn’t really that easy and simple, especially for those who are first-time flyers.
Being a beginner can be a good excuse to fly badly for a while till you can find your footing.
Here are 7 tips that are sure to help you improve your drone flying skills.
- Take a training course: Let’s face it, there are some things you just can’t do on your own or learn online. You’d need to attend a physical class with instructors who will take you on a step-by-step basis. It is so much easier to learn to fly a drone when you have someone directing you on what to do. Taking a course is a sure way to improve your skills in a very short time to the point that you can go from beginner to expert in a hurry without too many growing pains.
We offer two phases of Drone Pilot Training- Beginner and Professional. The beginners class is a good place to start if you have no prior knowledge of how to fly a drone. Check out our drone pilot training courses here.
- Practice with a small and cheaper drone: Controlling a smaller drone is easier because of how light they are. It is also more economical as bigger drones are more expensive and power-intensive. Smaller drones may not be the easiest to pilot but you don’t want to end up losing a lot of money if your expensive drone crashes. Our Geostore offers drones from as low as ₦120,000.
- Don’t just dive into photography. Be patient to learn the basics of flying the done first, making it stable, landing etc. Forget about photography at first even if that is your sole purpose of learning.
4. Watch Training Videos online. Search for a great drone training video and use it as a guideline for how you fly your drone or to augment what you are being taught. You can also read through articles and manuals like our ‘Introduction to drone piloting’ manual. You can watch drone-flying content on our YouTube Channel
- Make friends who share your interest in drones. This is a great way to learn new skills, as you watch what others are practising, and ask them questions about how they are able to do certain things. It’s also a good way to keep yourself motivated to advance your own skills when you see others learning and progressing as well. You can get this at your training centre as well.
- Learn one step at a time. You don’t have to start doing difficult aerial manoeuvres and tricks that only the experts can easily pull off. There is also no reason for you to take the drone 50 feet up in the air the moment you take it out of the box. Start slowly, with time you too can learn all the tricks you see online.
- Try to Fly around in a perfect circle: This is a great way for you to instantly improve your drone piloting skills. It can be difficult to do for a lot of beginners but we recommend that you try to find a point of interest such as a house or a pole and try to make that the centre of the circle.
It is important to know your main reason for learning how to fly a drone. Have a goal and let all your actions lead to the achievement of that goal. It is possible to learn more than the basics of flying a drone in a short time if you put your mind to it.